The Psalmist asks in the Bible, “Lord, who may abide in your tabernacle?  Who may dwell in your holy hill?  And
he is answered “He who walks uprightly, works righteousness and speaks the truth in his heart.”  Surely Elmer
Mullins is abiding with his Lord and savior as those of us left here try carry on without him.  It is with a sad but
very humble heart that I write the obituary of my uncle, Elmer Mullins.

   Elmer was born on March 21, 1934, to the home of Valentine and Claudia Mullins and passed from this life on
November 12, 2002, making his earthly journey 68 years, 7 months and 22 days.

   Elmer lived his entire life in the hills of eastern Kentucky, caring for and bringing great pride to his mother,
father and sister.  Early on he was given the nickname “Shotgun” and he carried that name with him for the rest of
his life.  On May 18th, 1952, Elmer found his life’s partner in Ruby Faye Mullins and for over fifty years, they
lovingly lived together as husband and wife.  Elmer and Ruby were unable to have children of their own so they
opened their home and hearts to their nieces and nephews.  I am but one of those who found a father’s love, a
father’s care and a father’s devotion from my uncle Elmer.

   Elmer worked very hard during his life, holding jobs at ARH Hospital and Falcon Coal Company.  He believed
that when you were hired to do a job that you did it to the very best of your ability.  He never complained about
the hard work and never failed to lend a helping hand to those who were in need.

   Elmer and Ruby lived with Leander and Allie Mullins, Ruby’s parents, and cared for them until they left this
earth.  I know of Elmer’s love and compassion for others first hand because he and Ruby helped my brothers and
me care for our dying parents.  No matter what they needed, he was there to provide physical help or comfort
any hour of the day or night.  When they died, he told me that he would be there to help if we ever needed
anything and surely was.

   Though a very good and moral man, Elmer realized that he was lost in his sins and heading to an eternity in hell
without a Savior.  In September, 1979 he received Jesus Christ as his personal savior and began a life long walk
with the Lord. Elmer joined Little Dove Old Regular Baptist Church in October, 1979.  It was out of a great love
for his God and love for his brothers and sisters in Christ that he accepted the call to be ordained as a deacon on
March 8th, 1986.  Elmer also served as the church treasurer until the sad day he became unable to do so due to
his health.

   Shortly before their 50th wedding anniversary, Elmer was diagnosed with cancer.  Elmer spent days and
months in the hospital fighting to get well, but it was not meant to be.  He eventually returned home to spend his
last days with his wife, beloved friends and family.  I will always treasure the time I spent with Uncle Elmer during
his illness.  He was so concerned that I got rest, had plenty to eat and that I knew how much he loved me.  I
found this so amazing because he was the one who was suffering and in so much pain yet he found a way to
minister to me.  I watched humbly as my aunt Ruby tried her best to meet his every need and to show him her

   Early one November morning, with Ruby and friends at his side, God called Elmer home.  What a joyful
moment that must have been when Elmer heard the words that we all should long to hear, “Well done, thy good
and faithful servant.  Enter in and rest.”

   I believe with all my heart that my uncle is healed and resting in the arms of his savior, Jesus Christ.  It is my
desire to meet him again someday in our new heavenly home where we will never again have to say goodbye.

Written by his niece Lisa Terry Stepp
Elmer Mullins